Thursday, November 25, 2010

The Bludge Week

It's November, and I'm nearing the end of another year of school, in which I've learnt, read, watched, written and collapsed because of due dates, tests and exams. With only a week left until I actually finish up for the year (HOORAY!), and a week past the exam period (HOORAY!), I've been stuck in the middle, sitting boredly in class while I wait for each period to creep by and each bell to sound the end of it. It hasn't exactly been the most fun of weeks; hell, it is by far the most boring week that I've had all year.


Today, for instance, I sat around in the library (or in class) playing on my Nintendo DS, playing Pokemon, Trauma Centre, Super Mario Bros., and Mario Kart, trying to the pass the time in some sort of productive way. Did it work? Yeah, it did; that is, until I'd exhausted my inner gamer and switched the damn thing off. So yeah... the week hasn't been all that interesting. Although on Wednesday my class and I went into the CBD to the cinemas to watch The Social Network, which in my opinion, was a good movie. In short, it's about the creators of Facebook and how the site was created, and the lawsuit that followed. One of my teachers had seen it and to put it in their words "there is only one likeable character in that movie" and I have to say that they are quite right. There is only one likeable character in the entire movie; the rest of them are all jerks and bitches.


Tomorrow, my school will be holding the annual elections for the leadership team next year. I will by running, much to my own surprise, as I wasn't expecting to be thrown into the spotlight because somebody decided to elect me to run for Deputy School Captain. When I was told about this, I was actually rather surprised. I have this belief you see, that the roles of School Captain and Deputy should be fulfilled by year 12s. I'm only going to be in year 11 next year, so I obviously can't take up the role in my own opinion. I do believe that I possess the skills and ability to take on the job, but my moral beliefs stand firm. So I'm going to go ahead and break them anyway, bring my speech to the table and wait for everyone to decide my fate. It's sounds incredibly melodramatic, but hey, my life can be like that.


Below is the speech that I'll be giving. It's not all that great, but it's what I came up with considering the circumstances:


For any of you who may not already know, I'm Geraldine, and I'm currently in my final weeks of year 10. I must admit, that I was never intending to go for the role of Deputy School Captain - at least not until next year. So I was a little surprised to find out from Ms G--- that someone had elected me to run. To be quite honest, I was reluctant to take up the offer, as I believe that the roles of both School Captain and Deputy should keep with the tradition of years prior and have a year 12 fulfil the role. However, despite the fact that I will only be in year 11 next year, I believe that I would make an excellent Deputy.


I'm an honest person, and always willing to help. I'm an active member of the school community and represent the school at various events throughout the year, whether it may be in sport or social functions. I'm proud of being a part of this school and I'm not ashamed to say it. I'm proud. I'm proud of my friends, my school mates; proud of their achievements and my own. I'm proud to say I'm a G------ Girl, and I would be proud and honoured, to be elected as your Deputy School Captain for 2011.


Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment